Babakieuria

On your blog write about what some of the things are you found most surprising in chapter 3 and 4 and the Babakieuria video.  Be specific and give examples. 

” You are polynesian? Aren’t you all supposed to be fat?”

“Brown/Black people are scientifically “stupider” than white people.”

(When my 2 year old son was helping me clean up, and I told him I was proud of his hard work:) “He will be a custodian when he grows up.”

“What more do ‘they’ want, they have been given enough,” in reference to Black Lives Matter. ”

“You are so handsome, you look just like us!”  (I have 2 sons, one olive skin and dark hair/eyes…the other has blue eyes, red hair and fair. This was said MANY times to my redhead son from this person, and never to my other son).

These are just a few of many, many comments/ attitudes shared by this singular white woman that opened my eyes to the attitudes and reality that reflect that “Babakieuria” thinking that is very real.  

Babakieuria seemed silly, and unrealistic…unless  you have been on the other side of that reality and until you have had to feel like you are less than because of the color of skin, or having cultural differences.

As I read these chapters, I really liked the ‘Identity Negotiation Model’ from chapter 3, as I thought of the differences of people who have varying behavioral, emotional and cognitive resources that affect how they view the world, and those in it.  

Finally, reading about the Pyramid Model of Intercultural Competence made me reflect and understand a little better why, competence comes so easily to people like my parents as I can see in them,  those needed qualities listed on pages 62-65.

This woman who does not have strong intercultural communication competence, lacks these skills, and that may be because most of her life has been experienced in small towns in Utah, with not a great deal of exposure to other cultures other than her own.  There was a part in the reading that discussed anxiety/uncertainty management, where people have a real fear about not knowing how people different than themselves may behave, and greatly affects the way one views others.

Reading these chapters,  helped me actually have compassion for her where I have had so much hurt and anger and throughout Chapter 4, there were some great checkpoints that helped me realize that I can also be more conscious of my intercultural competence. I have loved UVU’s diversity, and the wonderful friends I have made from many different religions, and cultures from all over the world.   

About the Author